After Cristiano Ronaldo equaled Josef Bican’s record of most official goals, Ligalive has prepared the list of highest scoring players in every position.
Former Real Madrid and Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo is the highest scoring winger in the history of football after he scored the 759th goal of his career last weekend.
Ronaldo scored in the dying stages of Juventus’s 3-1 victory over Sassuolo last Sunday to equal Josef Bican’s record of 759 official career goals. But the Portuguese isn’t stopping yet and might be miles ahead of Biscan by the time he decides to hang his boots.
But what about goals scored by players in other positions? In how many games did they manage what they did? And how do they compare to the Portuguese superstar? Ligalive has prepared the full list of highest scoring players in every position to answer this question.
- Highest Scoring goalkeeper – Rogerio Ceni: In a senior career that spanned two-and-a-half decades, the former Sao Paulo shot-stopper scored 131 goals in all competitions.
- Highest scoring right–back – Graham Alexander: Currently the manager of Scottish side Motherwell, Alexander netted 107 goals during his playing days as a right-back.
- Highest scoring left-back – Paul Breitner: The former West Germany international scored 113 goals during his playing career between 1970 and 1983.
- Highest-scoring centre-back – Ronald Koeman: The former Barcelona centre-half and current Barca boss scored an astonishing 253 goals between 1980 and 1997.
- Highest-scoring central midfielder/right midfielder – Frank Lampard: Similar to his counterpart at the Barca hotseat, Lampard too broke scoring records by netting 274 goals.
- Highest-scoring left midfielder – John Wark: The former Liverpool and Ipswich Town playmaker managed to get the better of opposition goalkeepers on 223 occasions in his playing days.
- Highest scoring winger – Cristiano Ronaldo: With his latest strike, Ronaldo has moved his all-time goalscoring tally to an astronomical 759. And he’ll improve on that before he hangs his boots!
- Highest scoring striker – Josef Bican: During her playing career that stretched over 24 years, the former Austria, Czechoslovakia and Bohemia and Moravia international (yes, he represented three national teams due to peculiar conditions imposed by World War 2) scored 759 goals.