Sakho’s Bayern snub, Rivaldo’s transfer advice for Barca and more


Sakho snubbed major clubs for a "dream" move to Liverpool

Mamadou Sakho reveals he rejected several offers to pursue his move to Liverpool
Mamadou Sakho is now plying his trade at Crystal Palace. Copyright: imago images / MIS

The French centre-back left Paris in 2013, joining the Anfield side in a reported £17 million ($21m) move and he claims there were other interested sides at the time

Mamadou Sakho made a name for himself at Paris Saint-German, with the French giants holding him in high regard as one of the club’s leaders. Despite that, he made the bold decision to head for pastures new, and when Liverpool calling, he simply could not resist.

He spent three full years at Anfield, making 80 first-team appearances. In a recent interview with Stadium Mag, he opened up on his decision to sign with the Reds: “At the time, a lot of sides were interested in me. We had regular contact with Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Arsenal and Liverpool. My heart eventually opted for Liverpool, since they were my dream and had rich history.”

The Frenchman now plays for Crystal Palace, who he joined in January 2017, and has no intentions of swapping clubs in the near future as he aims a return to the national fold. On life in England, he added: “My family has settled here nicely and my daughters are more English than French! I feel at home here so there is no reason to change.”

A DIFFERENT LIGALIVE VIDEO STORY?

Andre Silva to Barcelona: Ronald Koeman’s side are ‘interested’ in Man Utd transfer target
Andre Silva to Barcelona: Ronald Koeman’s side are ‘interested’ in Man Utd transfer target
Ex-girlfriend of Bayern Munich centre-back Jerome Boateng accuses his current partner of stealing the football star
Ex-girlfriend of Bayern Munich centre-back Jerome Boateng accuses his current partner of stealing the football star
Chelsea ready to sell midfielder to sign Rice
Chelsea ready to sell midfielder to sign Rice, Arteta offers Aubameyang contract update and more transfer news
Barcelona announce loss in revenue
Barcelona announce loss in revenue, Man United agree deal to sign wonderkid, and more news

'Time for Dembele to leave' - Rivaldo says Barcelona must make the smart move this summer

Barcelona set to put star up for sale
Dembele rejected the opportunity to join Manchester United this summer Image Copyright: imago images / ZUMA Press

Brazilian legend Rivaldo, one of Barcelona’s icons during a star-studded era for the Blaugrana, gave his harsh assessment on the French winger’s situation at the club

Barcelona signed Ousmane Dembele in 2017, acquiring his services from Dortmund in a deal worth €105 million, a record-breaking fee at the time. He has so far flattered to deceive in a Blaugrana shirt,  often struggling with niggling injuries and fitness issues. Attitude issues have also been mentioned more often than not.

Rivaldo is of the belief that the Frenchman’s time at the club is up and that his former club should try and sell him during the summer transfer window. “Look, I know that Dembele has enormous potential, but too many times he has failed to show that in this shirt. It’s possible that we will never see that from him.”

“He’s also been unlucky with injuries, but my personal opinion is that Barcelona should try and sell him during the summer and purchase one of their transfer targets to replace him.”

Will Barcelona decide to part ways with the 22-year-old World Cup winner?

'Newcastle should stick with Steve Bruce'

How Newcastle United could line up against Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday
Image. Copyright: imago images / Action Plus

Newcastle United‘s former manager Sam Allardyce thinks that Steve Bruce has done a great job at St. James’ Park so far and does not think he should be replaced should the proposed takeover take place

Magpies’ notorious owner Mike Ashley is said to have agreed on selling the club to PCP Capital Parners, who are now cleared to complete a £300 million ($375m) takeover.

Steve Bruce is hardly a popular figure among Newcastle fans given his past links with Tyneside rivals Sunderland, but he has proven himself able and steadied the ship when he was brought in as Benitez’s replacement in the summer of 2019. The club is now mid-table, while they’ve also have an FA Cup quarter-final to look forward to, their first since 2006.

Former boss Sam Allardyce sees no reason for the club to part ways with Bruce, defending his record. “I think Steve has done a very good job in his first season at the club, considering he came in just two weeks before the Premier League season started. On top of that, he is a very capable PL manager and he knows how to take a club forward.”

LIgalivenet Premium-Services

LIGALIVEPLUS

I’d like to invite you to become Ligaliveplus member. Getting smarter, being entertained, spotting deals. Coming soon.

CLOSELOOKNET

The dossier site. Global content for global people. Top content for top subjects.

AKTE FC BAYERN

Akte FC Bayern. The Bayern Munich Files. The rise of the average. From local hero to world-class.